- E3 tungsten electrodes (AWS classification EWG) contain a minimum of 98% percent tungsten and up to 1.5 percent Lanthanum and small percentages of Zirconium and Yttrium they are called E3 Tungsten.
- E3 Tungsten Electrodes provide conductivity similar to that of thoriated electrodes. Typically, this means that E3 Tungsten Electrodes are exchangeable with thoriated electrodes without requiring significant welding process changes.
- E3 deliver superior arc starting, electrode lifetime, and overall cost-effectiveness.
- When E3 Tungsten Electrodes are compared with 2% thoriated tungsten, E3 requires fewer re-grinds and provides a longer overall lifetime. Tests have shown that ignition delay with E3 Tungsten Electrodes actually improves over time, while 2% thoriated tungsten starts to deteriorate after only 25 starts. At equivalent energy output, E3 Tungsten Electrodes run cooler than 2% thoriated tungsten, thereby extending overall tip lifetime.
- E3 Tungsten Electrodes work well on AC or DC. They can be used DC electrode positive or negative with a pointed end, or balled for use with AC power sources.